dooliterature

Hexwood

Hexwood - Diana Wynne Jones I had never heard of Hexwood before I picked it up at the library a couple of days ago, but I’m glad I grabbed it off the shelf. This book really has a little bit of everything in it: time travel, mythology, alternate realities, mind reading, magic, knights, kings and queens, adventures, etc., etc. It’s really hard to place it in any one genre at all. And it’s really hard to talk about the book without feeling like I’m giving too much away, but I’ll do my best.

As I was reading this book – I’m not going to lie – there were a lot of times when I was starting to feel really frustrated. Before I quite understood what Jones was trying to do with the story, I was feeling very, very confused by the way the story bounced around. The idea of time travel isn’t really spoken about at first, and so Jones just kind of throws you into one random scene followed by another, not really explaining what she is doing. I was so lost! I can’t even tell you, haha. However, if you just stick with it, it’s really worth finding out how everything ties together in the end. I felt like the techniques that Jones used were very daring, especially for a YA novel, but she definitely managed to pull it off. I was impressed. It reminded me a lot of Vonnegut’s technique in Slaughterhouse Five.

I think to fully appreciate everything that happened in this book, I will have to go back and reread it. There are so many twists and turns in the plot. And not everyone is who they appear to be! I really wish I could say more in this review without ruining everything for someone who may want to read the book in the future. It’s so hard to discuss anything without revealing too many of the surprises.

Long story short, the book is worth the headache you might get in the first half, trying to understand what’s going on. I almost had to take each scene as like its own short story, trying to force myself to pay attention to the scenes rather than where the novel as a whole was trying to take me.